MG 485 Business Policy and Strategy
Cased Based Paper # 1 of 3 Grading Rubrics
- Name of company and the industry under which it operates, and the Six Digit NAICS Code.
- Background of the Company (headquarters, annual revenues, and state whether it operates internationally.
- Problem leading to the researching of the company’s environmental scan
- The study is organized into three sections. Section I discusses the external environment to address the opportunities and threats facing the industry and the hence the company. Section II assesses the company’s internal strengths and weaknesses in light of the company’s external scan. Section III provides a summary, and conclusions with recommendations for formulating and implementing strategies.
Section I External Environment———————————————————–35%
- The general environment
- The Industry Environment
- The Competitor Analysis
Section II The Organization’s Internal Environment——————————————————35%
- Core Competencies
Section III Summary, Conclusions, and Recommendations———————————————-10%
APA Format and Errors Free
GUIDELINES for CASE 1
The company’s external environment consists of three major components:
- The General Environment is composed of dimensions in the broader society that influence and industry and the firms within it. Refer to Chapter 2 in the textbook for more detailed information regarding the Seven segments of the General Environment as follows:
Based on the information that you have gathered on your Company, textbook, and research, you are to determine which aspect(s) of the general environment affect your company. Select the Top Three segments with supporting evidences (scholarly articles, textbook refences and the case study) the impact the most.
Next, you will make an evaluation(s) as to whether they are opportunities or threats to the company’s performance.
- The Industry Environment: Porter’s Five Forces Framework
The industry environment refers to the forces that directly influences the profitability of the industry as follows:
- Threats of new entrants
- Bargaining power of suppliers
- Bargaining power of buyers
- Rivalry among existing firms
- Threats of product substitutes. State, where necessary, if opportunities exist for product complement.
Porter’s five forces (and product complement) model is a conceptual framework for analyzing the industry environment. Based on the information gathered about your company, textbook and research, determine the importance of each force in Porter’s model; also, offer reasons and cite references.
For example, under the threat of new entrants, there are barriers to entry and how existing firms will react. Some of the barriers to entry include high initial capital set-up costs or government regulations that will make a weak or strong threat of new entrants. If so, what are the entry barriers?
- Competitor Analysis
The competitor analysis focuses on how the company competes directly with other companies in the same industry. For example, Walmart competes with Amazon; Apple vs. Samsung; Home Depot with Lowe’s.
Identify the Top Three competitors in your industry and briefly discuss the followings:
- Where/how does your company hold an advantage over the competitors?
- What will your competitors do in the near future (next 6 months to a year)?
- What should your company do to remain competitive?
- The Organization’s Resources
Resources, capabilities and core competencies are the foundation of competitive advantage. For this section, you are asked to do the followings:
- Briefly discuss the components of an Internal Analysis (Refer to Figure 3.1, chapter 3 in the textbook)
- Include a discussion of Value Chain Analysis
- Which value chain activity provides the most value to your company and why? Offer examples and cite references.
- Does your company engage in any outsourcing activities? If yes, explain and offer an example.
NOTE: Please be reminded that:
- This is an INDIVIDUAL assignment
- Component paper # 1 is worth 15% of your final grade