For this course, you will write an analytical research paper regarding legislation related to hospitality. Though the course has generally concentrated on lodging, this will be broader field. The topics are the following;
1. Raising minimum wage for quick service restaurants
2. The use of Segways as personal mobility devices in theme parks
3. The classification of assisting animals as pets or only allowing those guests with assisting animals to one section or floor
4. The predatory use of ADA related lawsuits, good or bad for the industry?
5. The proliferation of social media and effects on the lodging industry, whether related to employment law or as an aspect of operations (IE marketing).
6. Does ADA stipulate that the use of medical marijuana should be permitted in non-smoking rooms?
7. The denial of services to same-sex couples based on religious views of service provider, IE marriage planner, conference center, honeymoon suites.
OPTIONAL: If there is another current issue influencing the hospitality industry that you feel you may find more interesting, then you may use that as your topic; however, you must have my expressed approval prior to doing so.
Utilizing an objective stance, you will identify your perspective of the subject. Research for subject and include past and current cases, precedent, current public and business owner’s perspectives, any statistical information from business point of view. You will need to reference the course readings and any external sources that you may find. You will use your research to identify the affect(s) of the topic on the industry and construct a persuasive argument of why or why not the identified affect(s) are a benefit or a hindrance..
YOU WILL NEED TO DO AT LEAST ONE INTERVIEW. There is a whole nation of managers and operators that are just a phone call away, as well as legal professionals. Corporate offices can be approached as well. A transcript of the interview is not required. Reference the interview in writing supporting one of your points. Remember to use APA formatting for referencing correctly.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length of paper: Between 2450 and 3150 words
- Font and font size: Arial, 12 point.