For this assignment, you will choose three different interpersonal relationships in your life in three different areas of interpersonal communication (romantic/friendship, family, and professional/academic). You will evaluate these relationships and the type of communication you display by answering the posed questions in an essay. The purpose is to gain a better understanding of how you communicate in these relationships, and possible ways to improve your communication based on the concepts learned in this course. This is not meant to give info you are not comfortable giving, this is an assessment for YOU and to determine your understanding of this communication. You may disclose as much, or as little, “personal” information as you wish.
You will use the chart provided below to answer your questions and submit the chart and with the answers to the questions.
· Use the provided chart and answer all the questions.
· Format your paper using the correct APA style.
· Submit your paper as an MS Office word document.
· Typed, double-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman or Courier font.
· Use correct grammar and spelling.
· Cite your references within the paper when you paraphrase the information or quote someone. Your references should be documented according to APA style.
Remember to review and refer to the rubric often as you work on your assignment.
· “Assessing Your Interpersonal Relationships” Chart: OC_SPC2017_AssessingInterpersonalRelationshipsChart.docx
“ASSESSING YOUR INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS”
1. To understand how communication events are guided by the context in which the event occurs.
2. To understand how different contexts affect the individuals in a relationship differently.
3. To determine the degree of “interpersonalness” of your relationship.
Directions: Select one relationship in each of the following categories:
First: Professional or academic
Second: Immediate family or extended family
Third: Romantic or friendship
1. First Relational Partner: ________________________ (First Name & Type)
Second Relational Partner: ________________________ (First Name & Type)
Third Relational Partner: ________________________ (First Name & Type)
2. For each relationship, complete the following items below using the following scale:
5 = Definitely True 2 = Mostly False
4 = Mostly True 1 = Definitely False
3 = Neither True nor False
|My partner and I use psychological information as the basis for predicting each other’s responses.|
|I have a high degree of trust and a positive history with my partner.|
|Most of the rules we use for communicating in our relationship are unique to our relationship.|
|Our roles in the relationship are defined almost exclusively by our individual characteristics.|
|Our goals for communicating include the satisfaction of both personal and mutual needs.|
The possible range of your score is 4-25, indicating the degrees of “interpersonalness.” Score of 15 and lower lean toward less interpersonal, while scores of 16 and higher lean toward more interpersonal.
· Is one of your relationships more interpersonal than others? In what ways?
· Is one of you relationships less interpersonal than others? In what ways?
For the next four questions, answer for all three relationships:
· How does the other person’s cultural background affect how he/she responds to you and your messages?
· How do the situation and the environment affect how you and your partner communicate your messages?
· How does the content and/or the way the messages are communicated change due to the place and the surroundings in which you are communicating?
· What are some of the techniques that we’ve reviewed in class (language, listening, nonverbal comm., etc.) that will help you improve your interpersonal relationships? Be specific with regard to their application.
[Type text] [Type text] [Type text]
Ganakos, J. & Peck Kurtz, M. (2014). Assessing Interpersonal Relationships.