While there is no one single approach/answer to designing an organization’s effectiveness, an application of what students learned in the class is required. In five-member groups, students will be asked to consult the management of Café Britt to help design a more effective organization. A power point presentation and a written report of 20 pages should address the following questions:
- Evaluate the current organization culture; do you have any suggestions for improvements?
- Suggest effective techniques for motivating Café Britt employees.
- Suggest and describe some of the steps needed to build effective training and diversity programs at Café Britt.
- As stated in the case, Café Britt moved to a hybrid organizational structure, a multi-country divisional/matrix structure that helped the company to maximize communication and cooperation between various countries’ operations and head office teams. Assess and explain the matrix structure and discuss its advantages and disadvantages. Make sure to provide a drawing of the matrix one.
- While the structure of the organization could serve as a source of the company’s competitive advantage, do you believe that moving to a global divisional structure might constitute an effective alternative organization structure? Assess the divisional structure taking into consideration the contextual variables of the case (i.e. products, growth, and geography). Formulate and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the divisional structure.
- The structure of the organization is critical to its sustainability and serve (as stated before) as a source of the company’s competitive advantage. Do you believe that moving to a global multi-divisional structure might constitute an effective alternative organization structure? Assess the multidivisional structure taking into consideration the contextual variables of the case (i.e. products, growth, and geography). Develop and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the multidivisional structure.
- Suggest and explain various methods to improve Café Britt’s communication effectiveness.
- Suggest and describe various techniques (including high-tech techniques) that
can be used to enhance the quality of individual and group decisions.
- You need to analyze the leadership styles of Café Britt’s top management team and its climate. Explain which styles seemed most and least effective. You have also been asked to craft a leadership development plan and provide management with your recommendations on how they should lead people and the organization into the future. How effective do you believe this plan would be? Why?
- Explain the difficulties that are associated with initiating the changes that you are recommending. You need to identify and recommend possible change agents and specify which type of change agent makes most sense for your plan. Important note to remember that: All of the above components of the organization are interdependent. What happens in one, affects others.