Capstone Papers-Reflect on transparency in local governments, and consider whether the work of your local government is transparent.
Review the Evans and Degutis article. Reflect on how you, as an advocate, can use your knowledge of the government’s basic structure and processes to make your advocacy efforts more effective.
· Research your local government. Think about processes, procedures, and functions of your local government—how your municipal government works.
· Identify whether your local government is run by a city council, how many people are on the council, and whether a mayor presides over the council. If your local government is not run by a city council, determine which legislative body runs your local government.
· Think about whether you would present your selected public health issue to your city council, county board, and/or any other special boards or committees. Consider how you would present the issue to this group.
· Review the Piotrowski article. Reflect on transparency in local governments, and consider whether the work of your local government is transparent.
· Identify local representatives, and explain how local officials and members of committees are elected or selected. If elected, consider whether they are elected via ward, precinct, or by top vote.