Week 8 Homework Exercise
Answer the following questions in 25 to 50 words each, covering material from Ch. 14 of Methods in Behavioral Research:
- What is replication? What role does it play in increasing the external validity or generalizability of a study?
- What is the difference between an exact replication and a conceptual replication? Provide an example of each.
- What is meta-analysis? How is it useful?
- True or false: In many cases, meta-analysis involves calculating an average effect size for a relationship between variables. Explain your response.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using college students as research participants.
- True or false: Many constructs, such as physical attractiveness and self-esteem, appear constant across cultures; thus, external validity is less of a concern when conducting research on such constructs. Explain your response.