Select ONE of the following topics and respond in an essay that is approximately 800 words in length. Be attentive to quoting formats, grammatical accuracy and organization. Include a clear thesis and topic sentences.
2. The sudden awareness of one’s status as an outsider can be debilitating. Discuss the causes and effects of alienation in 2 readings.
3. What are the attitudes towards women and/or marriage that are evident in 2 readings?
4. Oppression takes many forms. It can be physical, mental, social or emotional. What are the responses to oppression in 2 readings?
5. Sometimes characters reveal behavior that is socially unacceptable, but the reader still forgives them. Why? 2 readings.
6. How characters see themselves and how others see them can be radically different. Examine the distinction between self-perception and social views. 2 readings.
7. Discuss the relationship between body image and social pressure. 2 readings.