Compare to Ibn Battuta and his journey to Tripitaka and his journey. How are the two people and journeys similar? How are they different?
Homework Assignment for Module 12: Islamic Empires in Africa (and Asia)
PLEASE USE THE LINKED VIDEOS AND ATTACHED FILES AS SOURCES TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. In episode 13 what are John Green’s main claims about the importance of Islamic empires to World History? Based on your reading in Strayer and Nelson, as well as Ibn Battuta’s Rihla, how do you evaluate Green’s claims?
2. What are the main things you learned from Crash Course episode 16: Mansa Musa and Islam in Africa? What do you think Gus Casely-Hayford would say about John Green’s discussion of Mansa Musa?
3. What do you learn about the cultural differences between women and men from the Rihla? What kinds of perspectives does Ibn Battuta show about the women?
4. What kinds of economic production and exchange does the Rihla show? What do you learn about Islam, including various forms of Islam, from this account?
5. Compare to Ibn Battuta and his journey to Tripitaka and his journey. How are the two people and journeys similar? How are they different?