Coursework Writing-Debts and Duties
- How does English distinguish between duties created by debts and duties created by friendship?
- Do you agree with English that filial obligation is not owed for services rendered, but instead results from friendship?
- In some states, law requires children of poor elderly people to contribute to their support. Do you think English would argue for or against this legislation? Do you support legislation of this kind?
- Can we criticize English for advocating a “minimalist ethic” according to which no duties of self-sacrifice or altruism apply outside one’s small circle of friends – all people, even family members, are moral strangers unless one voluntarily “contracts” an obligation?
- How might English account for the moral duty many people feel to take care of not only their own elderly parents, but needy elderly people in general?