Coursework Writing-Pretests/Posttests And Attrition
your explanation of what you think the social workers wanted to know when they designed the pre/posttest for evaluating the parenting classes. Be sure to address the concept of attrition and whether or not you believe they took that into account. Be sure to explain why. Then, analyze potential lessons learned from attrition. Finally, explain how you might design a study to gather data about the effectiveness of these parenting classes. Use the following questions to focus your thinking:
- Would you recommend a pre-experimental, experimental, or quasi-experimental design?
- Would the study involve measurement over time?
- Would there be a control group?
- In this group research design you imagine, what or who will be compared?
- What limitations in terms of generalizability and internal validity can you anticipate based on the research plan you envision?
- What can you tell the social worker about the issue of client drop out (also called attrition or experimental mortality)?
- If there is no control group, what type of research design could answer the question: Is this parent training class effective in reducing abusive parenting practices?