Define stewardship and define sustainability. Then, select either the Amazon Rainforest (deforestation is the issue) or Bridger Teton National Forest located in Western Wyoming (possible oil drilling).
Discuss stewardship and sustainable resource use. In your discussion, describe the issues or potential problems. What are the environmental implications of deforestation if you choose the Amazon for your discussion? What are the ramifications of drilling for oil in Bridger Teton National Forest if this is your topic selection?
Can either area be conserved through wise use or should segments be preserved without any use?
Cite all references, including the Interactive Learning Material.
Ecosystems and How They Work – Sustainable Developmentclose
In this assignment, you will investigate the biotic and abiotic structure and function of an ecosystem.
Choose one of the following ecosystems:
- Tropical rainforest
- Coral Reef
You will write a two to three page APA-style research paper about your choice of ecosystem including:
- Where might this type of ecosystem be located? Give one specific example.
- Describe the structure of the ecosystem: List both the abiotic components and biotic components
- Describe the function of the ecosystem: How do the abiotic and biotic components interact in biogeochemical cycles? Describe both the carbon and nitrogen cycles
- Describe disturbance and recovery: Describe one natural and one human caused disturbance to the ecosystem. Explain the damage to the ecosystem, including how the abiotic and biotic characteristics of the ecosystem changed.
- Explain how ecosystems recover naturally based on resilience mechanisms and the theory of secondary succession.