Federal Minimum Wage
Program-Level Objectives met with this assignment:
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Personal Responsibility
- Social Responsibility
Course-Level Objectives met with this assignment:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the federal system.
- Describe separation of powers and checks and balances in both theory and practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the federal government.
- Describe the rights and responsibilities of citizens
- Analyze issues and policies in U.S. politics
Activity for Assessment:
For this discussion, review the graphs on pp. 488-489 and then read the following articles:
Once you’ve completed this above-mentioned items, and done any other research necessary to gain a better understanding of the issue, answer the following questions:
- What are the major arguments for and against raising the federal minimum wage?
- Demographically, who are those in support or against this change? Why do you think this issue has such a clear divide, politically speaking?
- What does the graph in the textbook tell us about economic inequality in our country today? Would raising the minimum wage have a positive or negative impact on those in the lowest income brackets? How would this impact those in the highest income brackets?
- Lastly, what are your thoughts on this issue?
Please be sure to meet the requirements for posting in the discussion board. For more specifics, please refer to to the directions provided in the Start Here tab in eCampus. Do not forget your works cited. Any required sources give in the discussion prompt is required to be included in your works cited. Any additional research must be included in your sources as well.