Review the Reading Assignment titled as “Flue Gas Desulfurization: The State of the Art” by Srivastava and Jozewicz. In your review:
- Write an overview of the article.
- Describe flue gas desulfurization (FGD) at coal-fired power plants and why it is used.
- Explain the details of one once-through process and one regenerable process.
- Summarize the section titled “The MEL [magnesium enhanced slurry] Cost Model.”
- Discuss how the article is useful to a pollution prevention manager.
- Conduct an Internet search to explain the concept of Best Available Technology (BAT) and whether any of the FGD processes described in the article are considered BATs.
5. Write an essay about pollution prevention in the dry cleaning and hydraulic fracturing industries. Include the following items:
1. One-paragraph introduction;
2. Five-paragraph review of the Sinshelmer, Grout, Namkoong, Gottlieb, and Latif (2007) dry cleaning article, including an explanation of the common dry cleaning process using perchloroethylene (PCE), problems with PCE, and a review of options to PCE presented in the paper;
3. Five-paragraph review (total—not five paragraphs for each article) of the Heywood (2012) article and the Chen, Al-Wadei, Kennedy, and Terry (2014) article on hydraulic fracturing, including environmental issues with hydraulic fracturing and the P2 solutions presented in each of the two articles (include the use of liquid carbon dioxide);
4. Five-paragraph review of the Taylor, Carbonell, and Desimone (2010) article on using liquid carbon dioxide for P2, focusing on how liquid carbon dioxide can be used as a substitute in the dry cleaning industry and in the hydraulic fracturing industry; and a