Response Paper question: Discuss the characteristics of the rise of “Muslim democracy” and the interaction with the opposition – please give country examples (Turkey, Morocco, Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia) – a minimum of two examples please.
TIMES NEW ROMAN DOUBLE SPACED FONT 12 MLA
Guidelines for Response papers, which should be 3-5 pages long (double-spaced). They should do the following:
a) Highlight the most significant arguments of the author(s) and
b) Discuss/analyze them in an informed manner, i.e., informed by other readings, lecture discussions, and your own insights. You should go beyond descriptive accounts in your writing and should demonstrate analytical rigor (analyze analyze!)
c) Be well-written and well-edited
- It is acceptable to be selective in discussing the argument (if the chapter is too long), but there are certain points/arguments that are clearly central to an article/chapter and should be discussed explicitly.
- Articles often discuss certain concepts/themes and highlight them. These are important concepts/themes that should have been part of any response paper on that article/chapter.
- Do include page numbers & author (in text citations) when you refer explicitly to statements, quotations. This should come in handy when preparing for exams.
- All response papers should have
- A solid introductory sentence or two, in which you sum up the thesis/argument of the article/chapter you’re reading.
- Then, proceed to fleshing the argument. Here’s where you can go into detail.
- Then, offer your critique and try to relate it to the topic of the course by invoking other readings, lectures, discussions we had.
- Finally, state what you have learned from the article (one or two sentences)