Seal of the Confederacy
Click the SealConfederacy link above to view the Seal of the Confederacy. Do a bit of research, combined with your own thinking, to answer the questions below.
1. The man on the horse in the center of the seal is George Washington. Why did the Confederate States of America use the first president of the United States of America as the centerpiece of their country’s seal?
2. Name the six crops that ring the inside of the seal. Why put those crops there?
3. Determine the significance of the date on the seal.
4. Why did they choose to call the country the Confederate States of America? (Hint: think in terms of the U.S. history you have learned to this point, not how a dictionary defines the word)
5. What does the Latin phrase on the seal mean? What message were they trying to convey with that phrase?