Assignment 5 – Limited Vocabulary Storytelling
Honor Code: _______________________________________________________________________
Name: ______________________________ Signature: _____________________________
This is an individual assignment that can be turned in on the class blackboard site as a typed, text-based PDF document OR to me as a typed hardcopy before 5:00 PM in GEM-166 (Lab all day remember). If you turn this assignment on blackboard, a typed Honor Code and Signature is acceptable (use a script font for your signature). Because of the nature of writing assignments, this assignment will be graded on a good faith effort basis.
- For the 2 stories below, come up with one list of 27 words that could be used to tell both stories.
- Re-tell both stories with your 27 words.
- Now, describe the shortcomings (You are allowed to use the 171,476 words in current use, 47,156 obsolete words, and 9,500 derivative words in the (current?) English language for this part) and answer the questions:
- What was your process in selecting the list of 27 words?
- Looking at your list, what are the shortcomings when describing these stories? (be specific!)
- Would it be possible to come up with a general list of 27 words to describe “a whole bunch” (think of re-telling all the Disney/pixar movies or all known fables and fairy tales) of stories? Why/Why Not? What exactly makes this so difficult?
A beautiful girl, Snow White, takes refuge in the forest in the house of seven dwarfs to hide from her stepmother, the wicked Queen. The Queen is jealous because she wants to be known as “the fairest in the land,” and Snow White’s beauty surpasses her own. The dwarfs grow to love their unexpected visitor, who cleans their house and cooks their meals. But one day while the dwarfs are at their diamond mine, the Queen arrives at the cottage disguised as an old peddler woman and persuades Snow White to bite into a poisoned apple. The dwarfs, warned by the forest animals, rush home to chase the witch away, but they are too late to save Snow White from the poisoned apple. They place her in a glass coffin in the woods and mourn for her. The Prince, who has fallen in love with Snow White, happens by and awakens her from the wicked Queen’s deathlike spell with “love’s first kiss.”
In the distant past, in a place far away, an orphan named Luke is working on his uncle’s farm in the desert. One day, while cleaning a recently purchased robot, a hidden message intended for a man named Obi-Wan is discovered. When the robot runs away to deliver the message, Luke chases after it and meets the hermit Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan gives Luke a gift – the lightsaber that Luke’s deceased father built – and tells Luke of the mystical Jedi Knights. After returning and finding that the farm where Luke’s Aunt and Uncle live has been attacked, Luke, the hermit Obi-Wan and two robots set off into space with the help of two smugglers. They end up trapped inside the Empire’s planet-destroying weapon, the Death Star, and must work together to escape, warn the rest of the Rebellion, and deliver the secret plans.