MEE 5801, Industrial and Hazardous
A study of solid and hazardous wastes and how such wastes are managed in modern society. Topics covered are the generation, treatment, and disposal of wastes generated by the non-commercial and industrial segments of society.
Bahadori, A. (2014). Waste management in the chemical and petroleum industries. West Sussex, United Kingdom: Wiley.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Assess the fundamental science and engineering principles applicable to the management and treatment of solid and hazardous wastes.
2. Examine the key attributes of solid and hazardous wastes.
3. Evaluate laws, standards, and best practices related to hazardous wastes.
4. Examine leadership and management principles related to industrial and hazardous waste issues.
5. Evaluate operations and technologies related to industrial and hazardous wastes.
6. Assess the impact of industrial and hazardous waste on human populations.
7. Solve hazardous waste related problems through collaborative methods of problem solving.