In this lesson, you will explain instances of effective and ineffective communication in terms of the principles of self-concept and perception.
Wood presents seven Guidelines for Improving Perception and Communication:
Explain how self-concept and perception impact interpersonal communication.
Watch the video, College Success, and answer the following questions in a separate Word document. You can find a transcript for this video attached. Responses are intended to be in a Q&A format (as opposed to an essay-style format) and the total Assignment should be 500–600 words, incorporating relevant course concepts and terms from the text and citing in APA format.
- Describe Jim’s self-concept.
- Explain, using examples from the video and course concepts, how Jim’s self-concept impacted his interaction with his father. Was it positive or negative?
- Explain, using examples from the video and course concepts, how the father’s self-concept impacted his interaction with Jim. Was it positive or negative?
- Apply the process of perception, starting on p. 64 to explain the interaction between Jim and his father.
- Offer two tips for Jim and two tips for his father, using the guidelines for improving perception and communication (starting on p.79) and explain how these tips could be applied in an effective way.
You may use the following e-book for reference: Wood, Julia T. (2012). Interpersonal Communication: Everyday Encounters, 7e, 7th Edition. Cengage Learning. VitalSource Bookshelf Online.