“The knowledge of your Learning Patterns provides you with an explanation of how you learn, not an excuse for failing to put forth the effort to learn.”
—Christine A. Johnston (2010, p. 107)
4Developing an Adept Mind
Learning Outcomes After reading this chapter, you should be able to
• Define the term adept mind.
• Explain the role critical thinking plays in becoming a successful student.
• Demonstrate critical reading within the college learning context.
• Describe how your Patterns affect your critical-reading skills.
• Demonstrate critical writing within the college learning context.
• Describe how your Patterns affect your critical-writing skills.
“In order to thrive in the 21st Century, intentional learners should be empowered through a mastery of intellectual and practical skills, informed about forms of inquiry, and responsible for their personal actions.”