Follow writing assignment instructions for “Declaration of Sentiments.” Use the Sentiments passage to answer Questions 1-3. Use the passage “William Lloyd Garrison on Slavery” to answer Question 4. Do not answer the questions under the Slavery passage.
- Ques t i ons t o Cons ide r
1. Why does the Seneca Falls Convention use the Declaration of Indepen- dence as the framework for its “Sentiments”?
2. What is the evidence that man has denied woman her rights?
3. What does the declaration advocate for women?
4. For what reasons would some women who advocated the “Declaration of Sentiments” also have supportedWilliam Lloyd Garrison in the aboli- tionist movement (“William Lloyd Garrison on Slavery,” Document 81)?
When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one portion of the family of man to assume among the people of the earth a position dif- ferent from that which they have hitherto occupied, but one to which the laws of nature and of nature’s God entitle them,a decent respect to the opin- ions of mankind requires that they should deciare the causes that impel them to such a course.