Managers of healthcare organizations have a lot to learn from the management practices and breakthrough ideas from other industries. Your Final Project Report should identify three “big ideas” that represent great opportunities to improve the performance of healthcare organizations.
Your Final Project should define the management practice or breakthrough idea, discuss the expected impact on improved patient outcomes, higher levels of customer satisfaction, lower costs, etc., and identify the critical success factors associated with implementing these programs in a health services organization. You should identify which of these management practices or breakthrough ideas has, in your judgment, the greatest, second greatest, and third greatest potential benefit for healthcare organizations. Clearly explain the rationale for your rankings.
You are free to consider any management practices or breakthrough ideas so long as they originated outside the healthcare industry. Some examples you might consider include:
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Time-based Strategic Management
- Total Quality Management (TQM)
- Business Process Reengineering (BPR)
- Core Competency-Based Strategic Management
- Service Level Agreements
- Virtual Teaming
- Just in Time Manufacturing Systems
- Team-based Organizations and Performance Management Systems
- Competency-based Human Resource Systems
- The Internet
Your final report should not be fewer than eight pages in length or more than twelve pages. In terms of organization, your final report should contain the following sections:
For each management practice or breakthrough idea:
- Definition and Discussion of the Management Practice or Breakthrough Idea
- Expected Benefits for a Healthcare Services Organization
- Implementation Challenges and Critical Success Factors.