(a) TEXT Book online: Law Enforcement Ethics, Chapter 14 here is the link: https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com/#/user/signin
(b) Mentel, Zoe., (2012). Racial Reconciliation, Truth-Telling, and Police Legitimacy. Office of Community Oriented Policing, U.S. Department of Justice. (See attached PDF)
(c) Meares, Tracey L., “The Legitimacy of Police Among Young African-American Men” (2009). Faculty Scholarship Series. Paper 528. (See attached PDF)
2. View the micro lecture below:
Micro Lecture – Week 5
I have been looking forward to this week’s student postings and discussions. We are going to discuss “how” policing is done in our communities and the effect/impact in the community. This article by the Assistant Chief of Oakland discusses the topics of this week: Click the link or copy it: Can Police Departments Reduce Implicit Bias?.
Chapter 14 of our text: Henry Louis Gates and Racial Profiling is a powerful chapter. You will not be asked to perform the extensive mathematical equations on pager 307 – 309, however, the chapter makes a very strong presentation of how profiling can occur, the measures of it, and the impacts.
You have done a good deal of reading this week, so let’s get to the writing assignments. I look forward to reading your posts this week.
Weekly Student Posting Forum
In approximately 700 words (at a minimum), single space and 2 pages, create and post your response to the following questions:
(1) What do you believe are the key concepts in building law enforcement legitimacy?
(2) What do you think are the prevailing opinions of the legitimacy of law enforcement in the United States?
(3) How does Racial Profiling or Disproportionate levels of contact with specific ethnic groups’ effect law enforcement legitimacy?
(4) How can probation, parole, and other law enforcement groups build legitimacy in the community?
(5) How will your audit (Research Paper) help build integrity in the organization and ultimately legitimacy? What are some of your early findings, if you have them?
Note: For question #5, you can refer to the attached description outline to help answer this. Your response to the questions 1-4 should be aligned to the readings. You can give your opinions to these questions as well.