Identify one specific indigenous tribe in North America, Central America or South America that uses a psychoactive substance in a religious context.
The WOW discussion is an opportunity to share with the class something that surprised you in your reading, research, or study of the topics we cover in this module. As you read and watch the stories that make up our history, look for things that make you say to yourself “I didn’t know that” or “WOW! That’s cool!” You will convert this fun fact or pertinent point into a mini-lesson on the topic and share it with your peers in this discussion.
This assignment is designed to help you develop an internal dialogue while reading and studying history. An internal dialogue while reading makes us more effective readers and efficient learners as it improves understanding and memory of story told in the text.
- While reading and watching the lectures and explorations in this module, write down several WOW “I didn’t know that” or “That’s amazing!” facts.
- Select one WOW! fact that you noted and write at least 3 critical thinking questions about this topic.
- Research and find the answers to your WOW! fact questions. If you can’t find a definitive answer to a question, look for interesting related topics and list them as your answer.
- Use your questions and answers to build a WOW! lesson for your classmates (as described below). This may be the only thing your classmates learn about your WOW! fact and you are the teacher, so please be thorough!
- At the top of your discussion post, state the WOW! fact (as a quote or paraphrase) followed by an in-text citation of your fact’s source. Use in-text citation (not bibliographic citation) in either APA, MLA or Chicago Style format.
- Write a brief paragraph about why that information excited you or why you found it interesting.
- Below the paragraph, list each WOW! fact question with your answer. Each answer should also include an in-text citation or note in APA, MLA or Chicago Style format.