MOS 6801, Emergency Management 1
Course Description This course focuses on the evolution of emergency management in the last 110 years and the role of the Federal Government. Students will investigate Hurricane Katrina to identify the breakdown of response efforts that resulted in the reconstruction of federal policies and procedures. Finally, students will study major disasters since Hurricane Katrina to assess present and future government response capabilities to a major disaster.
Course Textbook Rubin, C. B. (Ed.). (2012). Emergency management: The American experience 1900-2010 (2nd ed.). Boca Raton, FL:
Course Learning Outcomes Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Analyze disasters and the evolution of emergency management from 1900 to present time. 2. Investigate a major disaster called a focusing event that resulted in federal emergency management policy
revisions. 3. Examine the collaboration between local, state, and federal governments, and non-governmental organizations in response to a focusing event.
4. Investigate major disasters since the Post Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006 to assess emergency management capabilities.
Credits Upon completion of this course, the students will earn three (3) hours of college credit.
1. Unit Learning Outcomes: Each unit contains Learning Outcomes that specify the measurable skills and knowledge students should gain upon completion of the unit.
2. Unit Lesson: Each unit contains a Unit Lesson, which discusses unit material. 3. Reading Assignments: Each unit contains Reading Assignments from one or more chapters from the textbook
and/or outside resources. 4. Learning Activities (Non-Graded): These non-graded Learning Activities are provided in Units I, II, and IV, to
aid students in their course of study. 5. Unit Assignments: Students are required to submit for grading Unit Assignments in Units I-VIII. Specific
information and instructions regarding these assignments are provided below. Grading rubrics are included with the Unit I-VIII Assignments. Specific information about accessing these rubrics is provided below.
6. Ask the Professor: This communication forum provides you with an opportunity to ask your professor general or course content related questions.
7. Student Break Room: This communication forum allows for casual conversation with your classmates.
MOS 6801, Emergency Management Course Syllabus