Midterm essay questions for Metaphysics (PHL358)
• Answer one of the four questions below in 1500 words, excluding references. Include at
least 5 references.
• Before writing your essay, listen to the lecture of week 7 in which I explain how to write
a philosophy essay.
• The essay is due on 27 September. You’ll be evaluated on the quality of your
argumentation, not your position.
• Good luck!
1. Do we have free will?
2. Does personal identity persist over time?
3. Which view is more likely? Dualism, identity theory, or functionalism?
4. Does the ontological argument prove God’s existence?