2) For this essay, you will begin by choosing a topic from the list provided in the “Persuasive Essay: Topic and Audience Worksheet”. If you would like to write about a topic that is not on the list, you may ask the instructor for permission.
3) Next, take a position on your topic by deciding if you are for or against the topic or agreeor disagree with specific issues related to the topic. This would be considered the “writing prompt”, or what you will be responding to in your essay.
4) The goal of this essay is for you to persuade your audience to agree with your position. Your written essay should demonstrate critical thinking by adhering to the following principles which will be studied throughout the course:
a) Manage emotions and avoid fallacies.
b) Provide evidence to support your position.
c) Acknowledge other perspectives and evaluate assumptions about the topic.
d) Use facts and figures when appropriate.
5) Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
6) This assignment uses a grading rubric that can be viewed at the assignment’s drop box. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
7) The first draft and final essay must be submitted to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center. Only Word documents can be submitted to Turnitin.