M3D2: Milgram’s Experiments Revisited
44 unread replies.44 replies.
This activity will address MOs 3 and 4. By the end of this activity you will be able to:
- Explain factors that contribute to conformity and obedience (CO 3, 4)
- Identify and summarize peer-reviewed articles in social psychology. (CO 1, 4)
Fascinated and intrigued by Nazi willingness to commit acts of atrocity, Stanley Milgram decided to conduct an experiment in regards to obedience to authority. His results shocked the world and forever changed ethical guidelines in the use of deception when performing research with human subjects.
Instructions for PSY 360 and MLS 560 students:
After reading chapter 6, view the following videos:
Milgram’s Experiments (Links to an external
site.)Links to an external site.
- Milgram’s Obedience to Authority Experiment Revisited (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnYUl6wlBF4
Answer the following questions:
- Were you surprised at the similarity in the results between the original study and the version conducted in 2009? Why or why not? Give at least one example.
- There were no women in the original study. In the second version, did it surprise you that the women were as obedient as the men? Why or why not? Give at least one example.
- Explain the factors that were integral to obtaining such similar results in both studies.
MLS Graduate Students also read the following article and answer the questions posed:
Bellezza, S..Gino, F., &Keinan, A. (2014). The red sneakers effect: Inferring status and competence from signals of nonconformity (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Journal of Consumer Research, 41(1), 35-54. doi: 10.1086/674870 http://vlib.excelsior.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edb&AN=96086062&site=eds-live&scope=site
additional 100+ words, answer the following:
Obedience to authority differs from both compliance and conformity. After reading the above article:
- What did this study show about acceptance of conformity? Please give an example of acceptance of conformity from your own experiences.
- What implications might the results of this research have for Milgram’s studies?