Assignment: Psychotherapeutic Approaches to Group Therapy for Addiction
When selecting a psychotherapeutic approach for a client, you must consider the unique needs and characteristics of that particular client. The same is true when selecting a psychotherapeutic approach for groups. Not every approach is appropriate for every group, and the group’s unique needs and characteristics must be considered. For this Assignment, you examine psychotherapeutic approaches to group therapy for addiction.
• Evaluate psychotherapeutic approaches to group therapy for addiction
• View the media, Levy Family: Sessions 1-7, and consider the psychotherapeutic approaches being used.
In a 2- to 3-page paper, address the following:
• Identify the psychotherapeutic approach of Motivational Interviewing (what is Motivational Interviewing and why is it used) that the group facilitator is using, and explain why she might be using this approach.
• Determine whether or not you would use the same psychotherapeutic approach if you were the counselor facilitating this group, and justify your decision with evidenced-based literature.
• Identify an alternative psychotherapeutic approach to group therapy for addiction, and explain why it is an appropriate option.
• Support your position with evidence-based literature.
• Be sure to use in-text citations in your writing. Be sure to have 5 or more scholarly references.
• Write paper in APA format and be sure to have a title for each section of the paper.
***Particularly pay attention to videos 6 and 7. Video 6 shows the group therapy that Mr. Levy participates in and the introduction of Motivational Interviewing; Video 7 shows the individual therapy between Mr. Levy and the counselor.