Write a 3 page paper in APA format (not including the cover page and reference page). Read the case, Tiny Islands, Big Trouble, (page 78). Prepare your composition to cover the following topics or questions with in the body section of the paper described for this assignment:
- Pick one of the island chains (Paracel, Spratly, Pinnacle/Senkaku/Diaoyu/Tiaoyutai) under dispute. Research the claims of the parties asserting ownership of the island chain. Prepare a short memo summarizing the ownership claims, the basis of those claims, and a possible solution to the dispute. Are bilateral negotiations, arbitration under UNCLOS, or a region-wide code of conduct the best way to resolve the conflicts? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
- Suppose you are an executive for Forum Energy PLC, which was granted exploration rights in the Spratlys by the Philippines. What political risks do you face? What can you do to lessen these political risks?
- Suppose you are an executive for Toyota, which has extensive FDI in China and has targeted the Chinese market as critical to the company’s future growth. What political risks do you face? What can you do to lessen these political risks?
Below is a recommended outline.
- Cover page
- A thesis statement
- Purpose of paper
- Overview of paper
- Body (Cite sources using in-text citations.)
- Main issue 1.
- Main issue 2.
- Main issue 3.
- (there may be additional sections of your paper)
- Conclusion – Summary of main points
Lessons Learned and Recommendations
References – List the references you cited in the text of your paper according to APA format