Research Paper – Construct a presentation on a specific buffer overflow attack
Research a specific buffer overflow attack technique of your choice. This should be a technique that has been actively exploited in the past five years or is still a current threat. Prepare a presentation on the attack. The intended audience is a Bachelor’s level Cyber security course where you are to deliver a guest lecture. Your presentation should include at least the following information:
- Explain the conditions that make systems vulnerable to this particular attack.
- Indicate how the attack works and how it is executed.
- Provide a graphical depiction (e.g., flowchart, diagram, video) of the attack in action and how it works.
- Identify examples of how the attack has been exploited in the past (e.g., news stories, software security vulnerability alerts).
- Recommend techniques for shielding against the attack or mitigating its effects.