C. Wright Mills’ “The Sociological Imagination” states:
“The Sociological imagination enables us to grasp history and biography and the relationship between the two within society. This is its task and promise. It is by means of the sociological imagination that human beings now hope to grasp what is happening to themselves as minute points of intersection between biography and history within society.”
Using Mills’ definition, how would you apply sociological imagination to your own life? what is the point of intersection between your personal biography and a social/historical event?
DO NOT QUOTE DIRECTLY FROM COURSE MATERIALS OR OTHER READINGS IN YOUR ASSIGNMENTS OR DISCUSSION POSTS. PLEASE USE PARAPHRASES—PUT INTO YOUR OWN WORDS! If you cite an external source, please use proper citation.
Students should keep themselves informed of current events by utilizing conventional and alternative news sources. Our goals in the course include connecting topics and concepts discussed in class with events in the larger society.
Discussion points are based on these criteria (RUBRICS):
1. How well has the student answered the question asked in the discussion thread.
2. Has s/he answered all the questions asked.
3. Has s/he applied sociological theories/concepts to his/her discussion posts?
4. Has the student just copied and pasted something s/he has found on the web
5. Is the student’s answer/discussion post written in his/her own words and are the answers comprehensive?
6. Has the student taken time to respond to others in the thread?
7. Posted on time?
8. Compared to others in the class and to his/her own responses in the past, is the student showing progress?