Imagine you are a European immigrant to America, trying to adapt to the new life you sought. You want to share your experiences with your family back home so they will better understand. History 1865 – 1945.
Write an approximately 750-1,000 words FIRST-PERSON description of your experiences as an immigrant to America in the late 19th or early 20th century. The description should take the form of a journal entry, autobiography, or diary.
Include descriptions of at least 5 of the 8 topics below based on historical information from the textbook and your research:
- Political, social, or economic factors that caused you to migrate
- The journey across the ocean, including but not limited to the sleeping accommodations and availability of food
- Immigrant experience at Ellis Island or similar point of entry
- The city you chose to settle and why
- Racial and ethnic attitudes toward immigrant groups and amongst different groups
- Living conditions in tenement housing
- Factory conditions, hours worked, gender and pay
- The status you hope your children will eventually achieve
Incorporate at least 10-12 specific pieces of historical evidence from the required readings, supplemental readings and any additional research. Include proper in text citations for all historical facts.