What justifications does Albuquerque give for the attack on Malacca? Which might have been the most important in the sixteenth century?
2. What are three reasons for European overseas exploration? As more countries tried to expand overseas, did these motives change? Or, more directly, which motive was exploited the most?
3. What did Cortés focus on in his description of the Aztec capital city? Why do you think Cortés felt justified in conquering the city?
4. In what ways did Bartolomé de las Casas’s Destruction of the Indies help create the image of the Spaniards as “cruel and murderous fanatics?” What may have de las Casas’s motives behind such imagery and reaction to the events in the “New World?”
5. Analyze the interaction between King Louis XIV of France and the King of Tonkin. What are the underlying beliefs and approaches of the two rulers? How are they alike? Different? How does each date their letters? What do you infer from these dates?
6. Why and how did Japan succeed in keeping Europeans largely away from its territory in the seventeenth century?