1. After the coup, why was there a vacuum at the political center? What did the republic do?
2. What finally removed Gorbachev from power?
3. Which of Yeltsin’s initial decisions about his new government became fatal to the 1st Russian Republic?
4. What is Dyarchy? Why did it cause so much trouble between Yeltsin and Parliament?
5. Why was there another civil war in October 1993?
6. Why wasn’t Yeltsin happy with his new parliament in December 1993?
7. Why did Russia go into Chechnya?
8. Why do people say that Yeltsin was corrupt?
9. What is the Rule of Law?
10. Who did Yeltsin compete with in the ’96 Presidential Elections? Why is that a worry for reform-minded democrats?
11. Name two indicators of Russia’s soft state.
12. How do Russians view the Yeltsin era today?