Week Assignment 1
In this week’s assignment BUS 7105 Organizing Data and Interpreting Graphs using Excel and SPSS , you will complete a problem set in which you address levels of data and types of variables. Answers to the problems must be complete and written in a formal narrative language. In addition, you will write a short essay related to data privacy.
1. Explain what it means to say, “variables must vary.”
2. List and define the four levels of measurement (using examples) discussed in this week’s introduction and resources. In your opinion, which one or more is the most appropriate for statistical analysis. Explain.
3. Compare and contrast the characteristics of continuous and discrete variables. What is a common challenge of trying to calculate statistics using discrete variables?
4. Identify the level of measurement for the following examples and explain why you selected the level you did for each, relying on this week’s resources for support:
a. Career field (e.g., accountant, production manager, etc.)
b. Temperature in Fahrenheit
c. A job satisfaction survey measured as “disagree, neutral, agree”
d. Total sales for a firm
5. Identify each of the following types of a variable (e.g., continuous versus discrete) and explain why you selected the category you did for each, relying on this week’s resources for support:
e. The number of workers in each department of a large organization (e.g., workers in production, sales, accounting, etc.)
f. The dollars of revenue earned during a fiscal year.
g. The number of software licenses available to employees in a firm
h. The average annual salary of middle managers of an organization
Length: 3 pages
References: Include a minimum of 2 scholarly resources.
Week 2 Assignment 2
In this week’s assignment BUS 7105 Organizing Data and Interpreting Graphs using Excel and SPSS, you will explore the different types of graphs used to visualize data. Results from both Excel and SPSS should be copied and pasted into a Word document for submission.
Use the provided datasets for building one of each of the four chart types below. For each chart, select a variable from the provided dataset with a measurement level that is best visualized by that chart type. Use APA style to label each chart. Each graph must contain a narrative description of what it represents and an interpretation of the image.
1. Pie chart
2. Bar chart
Length: 4 pages not including title page or reference page
References: Include a minimum of 2 scholarly resources. Be sure to reference Excel and SPSS as they are resources for this assignment, although not scholarly.
|1=Diploma, 2=Associates, 3= Bachelors, 4=Masters||1=Single, 2=Married, 3=Separated, 4=Widowed||Measured in years||Measured in dollars|